Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Because I know a few of you had been wondering.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

My dad is back home with my mom in Washington state, and must not be in that bad of condition, since last time I talked to him he had a mouthful of apple pie. If you can eat apple pie, you're going to make it. I really appreciate everyone that showed concern, really. I've never been so worried about him. All of your prayers and good vibes must have made a difference. The above picture was taken last August, when we flew home to Portland for Eleanore Sue's first birthday. I can't believe she's going to be two in just a matter of days. How do you celebrate a two year olds birthday? Well, since we've been attacked by the "sucks to be broke like you" monster, I think the only thing I can promise her, its lots and lots of delicious cake, and a trip to the zoo as early in the morning as possible, so we beat the Texas heat. I think I heard that her Nana and Papa were going to send along the Dora bike that shes been crying over for the past few weeks. Oh boy does this girl want a bike. She was playing in her kiddie pool, when Christopher comes riding out of the garage on his big boy bike. All we heard for the next 2 hours, was "biiiiiiiiike", in between horrific screams. You would have thought that we had taken away her favorite blanket and murdered it right before her eyes. Something else I'd like to get her, is a pretend kitchen. She loves to "helping me" in the kitchen. When I was out hunting for a tacky 4th of July outfit, I came across a vintage Rainbow Brite play dishwasher (for only $5.00!!). Right now its full of her plastic fruits and vegetables, because they need washing too! Ever since we started letting her help us in the kitchen, we can't step foot in there without having to find a task for little Elie Sue to do. Sometimes I hand her a clean sponge and convince her to "clean" the walls. This usually keeps her occupied long enough for me to finish what I'm doing. And if it doesn't, I have to find something equally ridiculous for her to pretend to do. I remember when I was 3 or 4, going to visit some friends of my parents, and their little girl had a pretend kitchen, and I was sooo jealous. Maybe we could get her some pretend pots and pans, plates, bowls, things like that?

What did you do for your child's 2nd birthday?


From top to bottom:
-My dad and Eleanore Sue, Woodland Washington.

8 comments:

Ms. Jessie July 23, 2008 at 10:17 AM  

We invited people over and did the cake and ice cream thing. We havent been able to do any of the really cool things other people do. I had a friend last year who's child had a really firetruck and firefighters at her house and the kids got to play on the truck. I havent a clue what to do this year for Mikeys 5th birthday.

Michele Maule July 23, 2008 at 5:16 PM  

Hhmmm...I don't have any children, and I don't have any friends that have children...so I guess I don't really have any good ideas....

I think your strategy is good though! Lots of cake and the zoo sounds like a great day to me :) But I am pretty easily entertained! Haha!

Happy Birthday Eleanore Sue!

Oh Mandie July 24, 2008 at 3:14 AM  

Braydens 2nd birthday acctually fell on Thanksgiving, so he got a big ol number 2 candle stuck in the Pumpkin Pie :-)

Sending lots of Birthday LOVE to Eleanore! The zoo is always a great day - along with a fun construction paper birthday hat :-)

Hybrid Hopes July 24, 2008 at 6:38 PM  

We just had grown up pots and pans and wooden spoons with which to make horrific noise. (i apparently need to relearn sentence structure). Except I did have a toy plastic shopping cart, and Jessi or I had a cash register. Or maybe the shopping cart was Jess's.

Kathy-Catnip Studio July 25, 2008 at 12:25 AM  

I remember, with much toy love, a rocking donut holder whatchamacallit, and a clear plastic rolling ball with glitter and a twirling butterfly inside. Sigh, they were great fun!

Anonymous,  July 26, 2008 at 5:32 PM  

Happiest of birthdays to Eleanore Sue!!! And what a wonderful treat to know that your daddy is home, well on the mend, and already into the apple pie.

All very good things!

For Vincent's second birhday, we just had friends and some family over. To tell the truth, we actually rented a bounce house and went all out for family that was supposed to make it with kids (coughcoughMike'ssistercough). Well, she totally stood us up (haven't talked to her since!), Vin shrieked at the bouncehouse, and it would have been better to eat the $100. We did have fun, though.

Just do the things that make Miss Ellie Sue happy. That's all she'll remember. And you'll just remember the smile on her face.

Unknown July 28, 2008 at 10:20 AM  

When my daughter turned two, we bought her a $25 water table from Target. It is basically a plastic bin of water on legs (so you don't have to worry about drowning if turn your for like, 2.5 seconds) and came with a couple of toy boats and a water wheel. That got us through the entire Texas summer last year, and when winter rolled around, we bought a bag of $3 sand and turned it into a sand table for her.

Victoria July 28, 2008 at 10:30 PM  

A happy birthday to Eleanore Sue! (sweet name!)
And very happy to hear that your Daddy's okay!

Post a Comment