Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

(GF) Peanut Butter Chocolate Breakfast Cake

Wednesday, September 16, 2009


Saturday morning my family, even the cat, woke me up by jumping up and down on the bed, and (get this) asking me to make them "something special for breakfast". Not just something for breakfast, but something special, for breakfast. While part of me was raging with groggy sleepy headed anger, most of me felt loved.

I know that Christopher knows how to pour a bowl of cereal, and he can make a basic pancake just as well as the next guy, so its not that they needed me to make them breakfast. They wanted me to. And feeling wanted makes me feel special (even if it is 8am on a Saturday morning and I'm trying to catch up on some zzz's).

I stomped down the stairs, still in my pajamas (obviously), keeping my mad face glued on. And about here, is where my mentally got kind of weird...

"You want something special for breakfast, fine. Go sit in the living room, I'll let you know when its ready", I said with a rebellious teenage attitude. And just like that, I whipped up a delicious chocolate peanut butter breakfast cake, like it was nothin'. A little butter here, a cup full of sugar there, peanut butter chocolate and vanilla everywhere...


It was like a slice of gluten free heaven on an apple print bordered plate.

I've been getting a lot of these strange housewife inspired highs lately. They just keep showing up and then I float around on a homemade bagel scented and freshly swept and swiffered fluffy cloud.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Breakfast Cake:
(altered from Pamela's sour cream coffee cake recipe)

The batter
-2 cups baking mix
-1 cup white sugar
-2 eggs (I used egg beaters, for extra cautious batter licking)
-2/3 cup butter (I used smart balance)
-1 cup sour cream
-1 tsp vanilla

The peanut butter chocolate filling
-1/2 cup sour cream
-1 cup sugar
-1/2 cup peanut butter
-as many chocolate chips as you can stand

The glaze
-1 cup powdered sugar
-1 tsp vanilla
-2 tbsp water (more or less, depending on how thick/thin you like your glaze)

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 350.
-Grease up a large spring form pan.
-Mix together all of your cake ingredients until smooth and creamy. Taste the heck out of it to be sure its to your liking.
-In a separate bowl, whip together all of your peanut butter chocolate filling ingredients.
-Pour half of your cake batter into your greased spring form.
-Pour all of your peanut butter filling on top of the first layer of cake batter.
-Pour in the rest of your cake batter.
-Bake for about an hour.
-Mix together your glaze, and as soon as your cake comes out of the oven, pout the glaze over the top.
-Let it cool for a few minutes, and then enjoy!!

(Don't forget to brush your teeth afterwards. This cake alone could cause a breakout of new cavities.)

6 comments:

Oh Mandie September 16, 2009 at 7:30 AM  

Yuuuuuuum! I'm going to have to make this one morning! I'm quite sure that my crew would go bananas over waking up to a breakfast cake!

Christina September 16, 2009 at 9:04 AM  

oh my goodness that looks too good!

MariaSoleil September 16, 2009 at 10:00 AM  

I think you are wonderwoman. Seriously, I could think of nothing better to eat for breakfast than peanut butter, chocolate, and cake. You rock!

Megan September 16, 2009 at 8:59 PM  

Def. bookmarking this. PB & chocolate is my fave combination and I can't resist cake.

You are an awesome mama! (and wife!)

Sarah September 17, 2009 at 10:32 PM  

How did you just think of this - oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh - looks delish!

Shalyn April 12, 2010 at 12:53 AM  

i gave it a try and linked it back to you. http://wellarentyoucrafty.blogspot.com/2010/04/its-been-4-days-since-my-surgery.html

Post a Comment