Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

A Halloween Cookie Decorating Party

Monday, October 26, 2009


I know, I'm kind of ridiculous. But, sometimes, don't you just want to fill up holiday themed cupcake papers with glittery sprinkles and set them on the table next to freshly frosted cookies that are just begging to be decorated?


I didn't tell Eleanore about her cookie decorating party until the day before it happened. I wasn't sure that I'd actually get all of my ducks in a row in time, and I didn't want to be the one to break her heart when the party planning committee failed. Somehow though, I found the time, and everything fell into place. On Friday, since Christopher had taken leave due to Charlie's pneumonia (we'll get to that later) , Eleanore helped me bake sugar cookies. This was her first time rolling out dough and using cookies cutters. It, was, awesome. She was a great big huge help. No temper tantrums, no attitude, just sugar and spice and everything nice. I think the fact that her brother was upstairs sleeping, had a lot to do with it. She was in desperate need of some special one on one time.

Later that afternoon while Eleanore napped (thank goodness), I whipped up some black and orange frosting, organized the dining room table with edible glitter and colored sugar beads, and when she woke up at 4:00, it was party time.


Each of the girls had their own little work stations, with 2 cat cookies, 2 ghost cookies, and 2 pumpkin cookies. I had pre frosted them with my homemade black and orange frostings (vita mix made), getting that out of the way (mostly I just couldn't figure out how to distribute the raw materials between the 3 of them safely), leaving just the best part for the girls- making a mess and then eating it.


They didn't hesitate to get their hands dirty.

They pushed at it and smushed at it. They dumped out all of their sprinkles at once. They licked frosting off of their parchment paper place mats. Their faces and fingers were stained with food coloring, as were their clothes. It was perfect.


After an hour or so of a near constant sugar consumption, we took all of the girls outside to run it off. The energy in the house was getting to be too much. And of course everyone got to take their plate of (gluten free of course)cookies home with them.

I don't think I've ever seen Eleanore enjoy herself, or her company, this much. I hope that this memory sticks with her forever. I know it will surely stick with me.

12 comments:

Giggly October 26, 2009 at 8:33 AM  

Cookie decorating parties are the best!! Especially with toddlers. ;-)

Unknown October 26, 2009 at 8:46 AM  

You are a SUPER mom! Seriously. If I'm half as put together as you, I'll be content!

Poor Charlie though! I hope he feels better soon!

Oh, and I tagged you on my bloggity blog.

MariaSoleil October 26, 2009 at 9:28 AM  

That sounds so yummy and fun.

Lauren October 26, 2009 at 10:48 AM  

Love this! I remember being about 7 with my best friend at my house, decorating sugar cookie after sugar cookie - its definitely a memory you don't lose =D.

Sarah October 26, 2009 at 10:52 AM  

definitely a wonderful memory for little miss to store away.

Hobocamp Crafts October 26, 2009 at 11:27 AM  

awesome idea! I hope Charlie is feeling better. Poor babe. how are the rest of you holding up? xo

iampalegreen October 26, 2009 at 12:50 PM  

How fun! Those cookies look yummy! I decorated Halloween cookies with my nephew (he's 4) last weekend, but he was not at all as interested as Little Miss E. Good times...

Johanna October 26, 2009 at 9:05 PM  

How sweet! I have memories of cookie decorating parties. I'm sure she just loved it!

Amy October 27, 2009 at 11:48 AM  

Doesn't black food coloring stain THE WORST??

Looks like a wonderful afternoon full of wonderful memories for a sweet little girl.

P.S. Pneumonia?? Come ON! Poor baby!

soul_searching_mama October 27, 2009 at 9:44 PM  

This looks like a lot of fun! Maybe I should have a little cookie decorating party for myself after the hubby & Terrible Two go to bed...I'm not sure I trust the Terrible Two with that much frosting and/or sprinkles...and I'm not sure I'm willing to share with the hubby. Ha. :)

Tia October 27, 2009 at 10:19 PM  

hey there :) Love the ewwy gooey frosting and sugary bits for the cookie party!
Let me know if you make a pumpkin! I'd love to see it :)

Post a Comment