Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Bake Your Pumpkin Pie From Scratch!

Friday, November 13, 2009


Something that I've wanted to do for a few years now, is bake a pumpkin pie from scratch. No cans of puree, no store bought crusts (which really isn't an option for me anyways, since we're gluten free), no marshmallow fluff (that seems so weird to me, that people actually buy marshmallow fluff. And use it.)- none of that fancy stuff. I'm going to do this the old fashioned way.

Gut a pumpkin, cook it in the oven, and then blend it into goop, myself.

I was thinking: maybe I'm not the only one wanting to make a pie from scratch this year? Some of you probably make it from complete scratch every year- which is absolutely amazing, and I bow down to you, but for the most part, we're all probably followers of Libby and the traditional orange wrapped can. I remember when I was younger, my parents would just pick up a pie from Thriftway for a few dollars. There was nothing wrong with that, but, it just seems so impersonal. I'm sure my mom must have made a couple of pies herself over the years, I just don't remember them. Maybe I don't remember them, because I didn't help?

My daughter is for sure, going to help. Shes only three years old, but, as annoying as it is to have her throwing tantrums in the kitchen when I take the wooden spoon away after 100 too many "tastes", she needs to learn how to cook. And more important than that, she needs to learn the importance of tradition. We're still developing our traditions, our family is young, but when I think about our future, 5 years from now, 10 years from now, there are a few things that stand out in my head. Baking a pumpkin pie from scratch, is one of them.

So here's how this is going to work, dear friends.

This Thanksgiving, bake your pumpkin pie from scratch.

Simple as that.

Ok, there are a few rules and guidelines, hehe.

1. No canned products allowed. No pureed pumpkin. No evaporated milk (every other kind of milk is ok, whole, butter, soy, rice, 2%, etc). No crust in a can (it exists, really). Nothing. Lets keep it fresh.

2. No pre packaged items allowed. Baking mixes are ok, I know that my family and I would be living off of rice alone if baking mixes weren't available to us (living gluten free isn't easy). Cookies are ok, as long as they've been crumbled and mixed with other ingredients. Graham crackers are ok, as long as they've been crumbled and mixed with other ingredients as well. You kind of get the point, right? Just as long as you're not grabbing a freezer tube of cookie dough, laying it down in your pie dish, and calling it good. A little extra effort, will go a long ways.

3. Write down everything that goes into your pie, and your crust. You're going to have to share your homemade pumpkin pie recipe with us, of course! So take pictures while you're at it.

If this is all too overwhelming for you, do it a couple of days before the actual holiday (or don't do it at all, no pressure). Store it away in the fridge or freezer until the night of your big dinner. That's exactly what I'm going to do.

A few helpful sites for basic instructions are: AppleJade. RecipeTips. PickYourOwn.

The day after Thanksgiving, we'll proudly reveal our pies! Well, I understand that we won't all be able to get to the computer the day after Thanksgiving, so... correction: the week after Thanksgiving we'll proudly reveal our pies! I'll get to working on a cute button that says something like "I made my Thanksgiving pumpkin pie from scratch", or something, for all of us to show off on our sidebars (ok, so maybe I'll be the only one sporting it, but, I'm ok with that, haha). Feel free to spread the word. The more homemade pies, the merrier.

Eggs, no eggs, ginger, vanilla, pineapple- whatever your ingredients are, I can't wait to see what you come up with!

9 comments:

iampalegreen November 13, 2009 at 9:50 PM  

OH girl, you are ON! I can't wait!!! I bought a baking pumpkin at the patch this fall and had high hopes that it would one day turn into a delicious pie instead of just lookin' pretty on the window sill. I have some great ideas already!!

PS...Make a cute lil' button, I'm so going to rock that on my site!!

Lauren November 13, 2009 at 9:53 PM  

Sounds so very exciting! Thanksgiving was a month ago for me, and I'm *almost* Pumpkined-out, but can't wait to see how yours turns out! I'm sure it will be delicious =D.

Giggly November 13, 2009 at 10:29 PM  

I love baking from scratch! Hooray!!

Oh Mandie November 14, 2009 at 12:06 AM  

oooh I've always wanted to make a pumpkin pie from scratch, but have always been way to intimidated to ever even consider doing it.

I acctept the challenge!! (But am still going to make one with canned pumpkin puree just in case the au natural one comes out tasting like crap)

Art Kitten November 14, 2009 at 8:05 AM  

I have baking pumpkins all around my house right now just waiting to be made into a pie! But I am going to have to find a recipe that calls for something other than evaporated milk...

Jade L Blackwater November 14, 2009 at 10:08 AM  

Hi Tia & Family, I'm glad you found the post at AppleJade to be useful. We had so much fun making pumpkin pie from scratch - now I can't imagine going back.

Enjoy!

Jade

Sarah November 15, 2009 at 11:30 AM  

Excuse me, missy! Is there anything that you CANNOT DO? I am so envious of your domestic capabilities - your craftiness in the kitchen! Yum.

I hope your weekend is going well.

<3 <3 <3

The Girl Made From Color November 23, 2009 at 12:38 PM  

I'm going to try, but I have to buy crust. I've made it by hand and it was a fail. I had no pie pan and had to use a 9 x 13 casserole pan to make it. But I might try to make some crust just for you. hehe.

Post a Comment