Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Flashback Friday- Our Wedding Day

Thursday, March 18, 2010


This week, Flashback Friday is a sort of special one for us. Today is mine and Christopher's 4th wedding anniversary. You might have noticed last week that we've put a temporary yet possibly permanent hold on themes, so if you'll be playing along, please feel free to post whatever old photo you'd like. But for us...

4 years ago today, Christopher and I were on the Oregon Coast, walking through the cold sand with bare feet, hearts pounding as hard as they were the first time we kissed, hand in hand, looking into each other eyes with both love and fear, saying "I do".

We had a last minute wedding, not at all like the wedding that I dreamt about as a little girl. We were pregnant with our first child, and Christopher was about to leave to join the Air Force. We needed to be married before he left, so we used what we had. I wore an old polka dot party dress (the same dress that I wore earlier that year on my 21st birthday), Christopher wore a vintage powder blue suit over the top of a shark attack shirt, we painted our names and the date on rocks to toss into the ocean, and surrounded by the few friends and family that had the ability to rush out the door without having much notice- we married.

While Christopher and company stood out on the windy beach patiently, my Dad and I stayed behind on the boardwalk. We sat on a bench so far away from everybody that we could barely make out their bodies as tiny dots in the distance. I was cold and shivering, my dad gave me his jacket. This was the last time that I would ever truly be Daddys Little Girl. He was about to hand me over, and I know it wasn't easy for him, to the man that would take care of me from here on out. This would be the last time that my dad and I would share the same last name. We didn't talk about anything in particular, while making everyone down in the sand wonder if they'd be attending a wedding or a breakup, we mostly just made little jokes to distract us from the sadness that we both felt so heavily. This was our goodbye. We both knew, but I think he must have known much more than I did, that our relationship would never be the same.

After tears of love and nostalgia were shed, I handed him back his jacket (it smelt just like him), gave him a hug, took his arm, and tugged him in the direction of our ceremony. The sadness was swept away with the next breeze, and before I knew it, all I could see in front of me was my husband and the ocean.

It wasn't until our minister started talking, that I realized how real all of this was becoming. I started choking on my tears, in front of everybody. I remember feeling embarrassed and wishing Christopher and I could just turn around and dive into the ocean together. My eyeliner started to smudge at the corners and dribbled down past my eyelashes. The minister, who was also crying after only speaking a few words, reached out and handed me a tissue that she had been holding the whole time, knowing I'd be overcome with emotion.

I don't remember anything she said. I don't remember the words, I don't remember the sounds of the crashing waves- nothing. I remember when Christopher reached over with one hand to grab mine, and then put the other hand down on my belly, as if to remind me of why we were standing there in the first place. I waited, and just kept waiting, and waited- to hear her seal it. I needed her to tell me that he was my husband, and I was his wife.

And then she did.

We, and everybody else there with us, picked a rock out of the basket, and walked down into the water, closed our eyes and made wishes for our future, and then threw them into the unknown, hoping they'd all come true.

And so far they have.

Happy Anniversary honey...














************************************

If you'd like to play along, we'd love to flashback with you. Simply post an old picture, write a little blurb to go with it, and then post your link on the list below. Make sure to link from your post back to ours, either in text form, or you can take our flashback button from down there at the bottom of our page, and if you've got a minute leave a comment on another flashback post or two? We can't wait to see what you have to share with us.


30 comments:

Fallon March 18, 2010 at 11:03 PM  

Oh my goodness! You guys look so damn adorable it's ridiculous! I have to say that I just love Christophers style. I hope he still dresses like that. Look at you as a couple, it's no wonder your children are as cute as they are!
Happy Anniversary!

Ashley Stone March 18, 2010 at 11:35 PM  

beautiful post!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!

Anonymous,  March 19, 2010 at 12:08 AM  

Happy anniversary! I teared up a little reading it. The throwing the rocks in the ocean is such a neat idea.

Colleen March 19, 2010 at 6:44 AM  

Awww.... that's so sweet. What a wonderful story. And look at all of his hair! The air force sure did change that.

I've been thinking about joining Flashback Fridays. It looks like fun.

Devon March 19, 2010 at 7:04 AM  

what a sweet story... and awesome pics!! definitely a memorable day!! and christopher had A LOT of hair! :)

...and you looked beautiful!!

CraftGirlAlli March 19, 2010 at 7:23 AM  

LOVE IT!!! Reading this gave me goosebumps!!

and how weird...we were both on the "wedding" theme this week! haha.

But I love the pictures!

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations March 19, 2010 at 8:27 AM  

Happy Anniversary! Hope you guys have a wonderful day!

Such a truly beautiful story!

CourtneyKeb March 19, 2010 at 8:33 AM  

Aww who needs all hoopdy doo?
That wedding looks like it was so sweet and cozy, and you look so cute! <3

Alyssa S. March 19, 2010 at 8:45 AM  

Happy Anniversary! I'm telling you, small weddings are the way to go. So much more intimate. I still think yours had more people than mine! It looked beautiful and like such a special day.

Loddelina March 19, 2010 at 9:23 AM  

Happy anniversary!

Beautiful story and such adorable photos!
I also got married last minute, pregnant with our first child...

They call me mommy... March 19, 2010 at 9:24 AM  

Happy Anniversary! What a wonderful post! I love it!

Chana@ Mamma Town March 19, 2010 at 9:35 AM  

Happy Anniversary to you guys!! I'm loving your post this week! So strange that I used a wedding picture too this week, must be something in the air:) P.s-I'm also LOVING the new idea of no "themes" for flashback friday!

Unknown March 19, 2010 at 9:38 AM  

Absolutely beautiful photos! Happy Anniversary, lovely! You two enjoy it!

Christina March 19, 2010 at 10:13 AM  

Happy Anniversary!! That was a very sweet post. You look lovely. The painted rocks were such a nice idea! I hope you have a wonderful anniversary and weekend!!

Adrienne March 19, 2010 at 10:24 AM  

Happy Anniversary Tia!

What a beautiful wedding - you guys look so relaxed and happy. It might not have been how you imagined your wedding but it sounds absolutely perfect to me. I teared up reading the part about your dad.

I hope you two enjoy your special day!

beka March 19, 2010 at 11:22 AM  

holy crap, christopher has so much hair!
you guys are both so cute. gosh.
beautiful, darling, beautiful.
<3

Oh Mandie March 19, 2010 at 11:35 AM  

What a beautiful and rad story! And awesome pictures to too!

Happy Anniversary!! Heres to a million more happy moments and anniversaries to come as your family grows :)

You are an amazing story teller Tia, you should seriously consider turning your blog into a keepsake book or something of the sort, something tangible for your family and children

Sam @ The Ellison Family Expansion Plan March 19, 2010 at 11:47 AM  

Aw Tia, I love your story and your photos. Happy Anniversary!

Denise March 19, 2010 at 11:56 AM  

Happy anniversary...I love the wedding on the beach!

Amanda March 19, 2010 at 1:51 PM  

Happy Anniversary!! ♥ You guys look adorable!!!

Rogue Wild March 19, 2010 at 6:04 PM  

so beautiful!! it brought tears to my eyes, you and your dad on the bench...so sweet!

Happy Anniversary!!!

Danielle March 19, 2010 at 6:57 PM  

Happy Anniversary to you guys.

Loved the pictures.

xoxo

Shannon O March 19, 2010 at 7:34 PM  

Tia,

Thanks for sharing your touching story!

I loved this part:

"This was the last time that I would ever truly be Daddys Little Girl. He was about to hand me over, and I know it wasn't easy for him...This would be the last time that my dad and I would share the same last name." - Shannon O | Confessions of a Loving Wife

Johanna March 19, 2010 at 10:50 PM  

you certainly know how to make me cry Tia!
Thank you for sharing your beautiful wedding story, I feel as though I were there on the beach.
Happy anniversary!!! xox

April March 19, 2010 at 11:24 PM  

Awwwwww, Happy Anniversary to you guys!

I'm REALLY hoping to be back to participating next week!

Alita March 20, 2010 at 8:11 AM  

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY CHICA!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart March 20, 2010 at 8:27 AM  

Hello! Stopping over for the first time from da mainiacs place. Just wanted to comment on the very sweet story and wish you a very happy anniversary!

Kindly, ldh

soul_searching_mama March 22, 2010 at 11:53 PM  

Happy Anniversary! :) I love the pictures! You were a BEAUTIFUL bride! :D

Post a Comment