Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Gluten Free Pancake, Muffin, and Baking Mix

Thursday, May 27, 2010


I've been gluten free for almost 4 years now (I can't believe its been that long), and I've just recently given up my comfort blend baking mix of choice- Pamela's. If you've ever tried Pamela's baking mix, there is really no arguing (ok I'm sure there is one or two of you that beg to differ, hee hee) that it is the best.

Well, as our gluten free family grows (there are soon to be five of us, six if you count the cat, hah), we just can't afford to buy pre made mixes. We can't afford to buy pre made anything, anymore.

Recently, I took the plunge. I bought one of just about every kind of gluten free flour imaginable, and started making my own mixes. I knew this day would come, and I was dreading it.

I'm not going to candy coat it. Gluten free baking is a pain. This flour, that flour, this starch, that starch, xanthan gum and egg replacer, yadda yadda, grumble grumble groan. I don't have the time, to stand around the kitchen measuring out 10 different flours just for one batch of pancakes. I've got a house to keep, and not to mention my sanity.

I use baking mixes. It makes my life easier. Now, at least, I use my own baking mixes, that cost a fraction of the price, and are just as good. The best part, is that if I always have the flours on hand, I can always make more. No more "crap, better get on Amazon and spend $70 on a bulk order of baking mix, I think we're going to run out soon", nope, not this Mama!

I promise you, if you don't already make your own baking, it is absolutely worth the 20 minutes in the kitchen every so often, that you'll spend putting a batch together.

When I first started coming across recipes for baking mixes, I was frustrated because they're all in "parts". 2 parts this, 3 parts that... what are you talking about?! I'm busy, and these people are throwing math at me. Can't somebody just spell it out for me, I'm like a 4 year old when it comes to this stuff. How do I make a big batch of good tasting baking mix, equal to that of my beloved Pamela's mix?

I figured it out.

I used the basic "Self-Rising Flour Blend" recipe by Living Without (click here) as my base, and finally, I've got it! I made a slight alteration to the ingredients (removed rice flours, added almond flour), tripled it, and I'm pretty sure I can say (and believe me, I'm picky when it comes to my baking) that I've found my permanent staple baking mix. Its what I'm going to use in all of the pancake, muffin, and other baking-type recipes that I post here, so it makes perfect sense to give it its own post, right?

Gluten Free Pancake, Muffin, And Baking Mix
(family sized)

-3 3/4 cups sorghum flour
-1 2/3 cups brown rice flour
-1 1/2 cups white rice flour
-1 1/2 cups tapioca starch
-1 cup almond meal
-4 teaspoons baking powder
-1 1/2 teaspoons salt
-3 teaspoons xanthan gum


Get the largest bowl you have, scoop your ingredients in one by one, and then whisk together gently until thoroughly mixed.

And that's that.

I bake a lot, so I have to make this mix once every week or two. It makes about 9 cups of mix, so depending on the size of your family and how much baking you do, you might need to make it more or less.

I store mine in the refrigerator, inside of a large Snapware container, and pull it out when I need it.

Happy baking!

7 comments:

Kitty May 27, 2010 at 2:11 PM  

yaaaay, i'm glad you got it figured out! :D

that sounds awesome, and i'm sure the pancakes are delicious.

beka May 27, 2010 at 2:42 PM  

Bwahahaha! I hate math being thrown at me, too.

Gosh I love that Snapware! Definitely getting it someday....

Sweet baking mix! Quite handy:)

Amy May 27, 2010 at 3:42 PM  

WHy the two different kinds of rice flour? And do you actually notice a difference between xanthan and guar gum? Other than the price??

Tia Colleen May 27, 2010 at 4:26 PM  

Amy- the two different kinds of rice flour is just a personal preference. I'm sure you could use all of one or the other. I like to use both :) And I've never used guar gum in any of my baking, I've always used xanthan, so again, just a personal preference thing.

gsjandthree May 28, 2010 at 8:32 AM  

if you haven't tried Jules Gluten Free Flour you really should - i applaud your efforts to make your own mix, but trust me when i say that her flour can be used in absolutely everything, with no figuring or math involved. sometimes the extra cost of ready-made outweighs the hassle of having to be a flour scientist.

Anonymous,  August 21, 2010 at 5:08 PM  

Thank you SO much for this! I made a batch (well, a fourth of a batch -- we're only two people :) ) and have used it with great success for the last couple of baking projects instead of reaching for the Pamela's. (I did leave the baking powder out, for greater flexibility.)

Next up: the bake-off among your mix, Pamela's, and my boyfriend's mom's. I'm thinking pie crust might be the official test recipe. I'll keep you posted.

Charmaine Poulin September 1, 2010 at 11:06 PM  

You're giving me the inspiration to try making my own mixes & a loaf of bread again.....thanks for posting all of your tested & tried recipes!!!!

Post a Comment