Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Jumbo Sized Gluten Free Banana Nut Muffin Recipe

Thursday, May 27, 2010


My new thing lately, is jumbo muffins, Texas sized sounds fitting.

I went through withdrawals, for awhile. Not being able to pick up a flat of jumbo muffins at Sam's Club, the way my Grams used to at Costco. Not being able to stop at a mini mart, while on an outing with my family. Jumbo muffins go perfectly with coffee, go perfectly with road trips, go perfectly with busy mornings. Not to mention, they're heartwarming. I don't know about you, but for me, a jumbo muffin holds a certain sense of nostalgia that just can't be beat.

Well finally, I put my Texas sized muffin pan and jumbo sized cupcake liners to work. How hard could this be? Really.

I'd like to share with you, if you're at all interested (oh I know you must be, and if you're not, humor me?), a recipe for jumbo sized gluten free banana nut muffins. These muffins are low in sugar, and loaded with health. I hope you enjoy them as much as my family and I do...



Jumbo Sized Gluten Free Banana Nut Muffins

-1 1/2 cups gf baking mix (I LOVE this self rising mix that you can make yourself)
-1/2 cup sugar
-2 tablespoons flax meal
-1/2 cup soy milk
-1/4 cup melted smart balance
-2 eggs, beaten
-2 ripe bananas
-1/4 teaspoon almond extract
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-1 cup chopped walnuts


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line your jumbo muffin pan with jumbo muffin liners. These are not the same as regular lines. I had to hunt all over town for them, but hopefully you'll have easier access than I did. If not, you can order them in bulk on Amazon, which is what I'm about to start doing (now that I'm making muffins twice a week).

Before you start with anything else, it might be a good idea to chop up your walnuts. You don't have to use walnuts (I'm allergic), but they seem to be the best option for these particular muffins. Scoop out a cup, and chop chop chop away. You can also run them through your food processor, vita mix, magic bullet- whatever, but I typically make these while the babies are sleeping, so I chop them by hand, to prevent any early waker uppers, know-what-I'm-sayin'?

You'll need two bowls. One for wet, and one for dry.

Melt your smart balance in a glass measuring cup or small bowl (ok so you might have needed 3 bowls then, I guess).

In the larger of the bowls, you'll add your flour mixture, your flax meal and your sugar.

In the smaller of the bowls, mash up your bananas with a fork. Add your melted smart balance, your soy milk, your beaten eggs, and both your extracts.

Mix mix mix, with a wooden spoon.

Fold in your chopped up nuts.

Spoon equal parts into your papers, mixture will be thick and fill it up about 3/4 of the way, and put into the oven for 35-40 minutes. This will make 6 jumbo muffins.

And we all know how to tell when a muffin is finished, right? The tops should be browned, and the toothpick should come out clean.

We store ours in the fridge or freezer. If frozen, microwave for one minute, or let thaw in the fridge overnight.

*NOTE- make sure you let your muffins cool completely, maybe even chill them, before digging in. Warm muffins will stick to the paper, and have a slightly gummy texture. Cooled muffins will not.

Jumbo GF Blueberry Almond Muffin coming soon...

8 comments:

Danielle May 27, 2010 at 8:12 AM  

Those looks delicious!

CourtneyKeb May 27, 2010 at 8:18 AM  

I love when you post recipes!
Only I hate the hunt for the unfamiliar items in the grocery stores.
My mother in law eats gluten free and sometimes even sugar free so I like recipes I can make and bring to her place every time and again.
I love me some banana nut muffins/bread though so this will definitely be saved!

Fallon May 27, 2010 at 9:08 AM  

OH my, I think I love you. You have no idea how badly I have been missing muffing with my coffee in the mornings. Having gone gluten free for over two months now, I'm saddened by all the comfort foods I can't have (having a normal stomach makes up for it...I guess!). I am making these on my next days off. Thank you, it's just what I needed!

beka May 27, 2010 at 9:57 AM  

Ohmigoodness. Thank you for posting this recipe. Gosh, it's been a while since we've made a baked goodie from bananas... (I went through an obsession with making really yummy banana bread sometimes with chocolate chips, several years ago when I was learning a bit of the art of baking/kitchen stuff.)

*sigh*
Your whole bit on how good and nostalgic (huge) muffins are (with coffee too) has brought a need rising to the surface to try out a big muffin recipe:)
Thank you for the inspiration;)

Colleen May 27, 2010 at 10:45 AM  

I miss muffins. My oven is so small, I'd have to make them in tiny pans, so I just don't. When I move and get my real oven back, I'll be making muffins left and right. Yum.

Yellow House May 27, 2010 at 11:25 AM  

I am bookmarking this post! Those look amazing. Can't wait to make my own!!

Mitzie May 27, 2010 at 6:36 PM  

You wouldn't happen to have a non-gluten free version of this would you?

Post a Comment